So, the time has come to put an end to the era of your dating account with your (preferred) dating site. Hopefully you found the one you were looking for, or maybe you simply got bored with the site, or alternatively you were fed up with constantly trying to grab someone else’s attention. Either way, you are looking for a way to finish your online dating session and avoid that you’ll be charged after your cancelation. The process is a bit more complicated than simply pushing a big large exit button, but only a little bit. All you need to know is that there are two steps required to completely shut down your account. First you need to cancel your subscription to make sure you’re no longer being charged, and then cancel your account altogether.
Cancelling Your Paid Subscription vs Cancelling Your Account
One often mistakes these two, but there is a significant difference between them. To put it simply, when you cancel your subscription, you stop paying for the premium membership, and your account is transformed back to its free (but restricted) version. In this case you are typically still able to access your data, browse your existing contacts, but the perks acquired with the premium accounts are gone. This can be considered as a break from paying the monthly fee. If your dates are going along nicely, but unsure whether or not exterminate the account, this is the comfortable middle ground.
Canceling your account altogether, on the other hand, means that you completely delete your profile, and disable any progress you made so far. We only recommend this step when you are fully determined to end your history with the dating site. In most cases there is no turning back from cancelling your membership, while a canceled subscription can be reactivated anytime, while the basic (free) account time remains yours for time’s being. Even if you are happy with your current partner, it’s good to have a return path to the online dating environment you’ve become familiar with.
Let’s See it in Action!
In case you are rolling with the subscription cancellation, your job is pretty straightforward. First, head to your dating site and log in. Select the account settings (or their equivalent) and choose the subscription or payments menu. Here you’ll find the corresponding options, and among them there will be one related to the renewal of payments. When subscribing, most dating sites turn on automatic renewals, meaning that when a payment period ends, it charges you immediately for a new one. If you wish to delete your account, make sure to cancel in time, as dating sites rarely return unused months of service.
And one more thing: it’s possible to unsubscribe from your mobile dating app as well. The steps are quite similar, here’s an example of cancelling your Zoosk subscription on iPhone.
Cancelling Your Paid Zoosk Dating Subscription on iOS
Apple and Google make sure that the users of their mobile operating systems enjoy a smooth and seamless experience with using and purchasing apps and subscriptions. For this reason they make handling your app subscriptions, including those of dating apps, fairly straightforward and transparent. As a matter of fact, the system is more clear and transparent than when you have a direct subscription through the dating website itself. The example below for the cancelation of a paid Zoosk subscription on an iPhone demonstrates how this works for subscriptions to dating sites and apps through iOS:
- In your iPhone’s Settings app, go to the iTunes & App Store settings.
- Tap your Apple ID at the top of the screen, and then choose View Apple ID, after which you’ll have to enter your password or Touch ID to view and edit your settings.
- On the Account page, you’ll see the title Subscriptions. Press the Manage button to be taken to a page that shows all your current and past subscriptions. Here it will for instance show under “Your Subscription” your canceled Zoosk subscription with your options to resubscribe underneath it. If it mentions “Expired” with a date next to it, you can rest assured that your subscription was canceled and your credit card won’t be charged again.
Step by Step Account Cancellation
Deleting your account permanently isn’t much different from suspending the subscription. You just need to look for the kill switch in a different menu. Let’s demonstrate it through three examples for three of the most popular dating websites:
- Open your browser, and log in to your Zoosk account
- Go to the Account Settings, then head to Account Status and hit Edit.
- Click “Deactivate”, and confirm it.
- Log in to your eHarmony Account and find the Account Settings page.
- Go to the “Close Account” page, hit the “Close” button, then verify it.
- If you wish to have your details and pictures removed from eHarmony’s servers as well, send a request to their customer support.
- Access your Match.com profile, and visit the “My account settings” page.
- At the bottom you’ll see a link: “To delete your account and permanently remove your profile from the site, click here”. Click this link.
- The system asks to confirm your intentions again, and then deletes your account.
Best Dating Sites of 2022
|Editor's Choice 2022|
Get the Best Deals on Dating Sites
Sign up to our newsletter to receive the best dating advice from our experts and get the best deals on dating sites.